The Hunter Valley YHA is located in the heart of the wine country and is the perfect place to stay while you taste the region. The purpose built hostel is set in a quiet location and is surrounded by beautiful countryside. The onsite vineyard yields grapes that are sent to local winemakers for bottling. The resulting wine is available for purchase at the hostel.
We spent only one night at the Hunter Valley YHA. It was a great way to get settled in the area and with the winter chill settling in, having a warm meal and a warm bed was priceless.
The hostel sleeps 48 guests, and each room opens out onto a veranda that wraps around the whole building. During the winter, extra blankets are provided to keep you toasty and warm.
Recent renovations have brought new life to the kitchen, bathrooms and lounge area, with plush faux leather couches, new tables and a brand new conduction stove. Outside is a BBQ area that overlooks the vineyard, and if you’re lucky, you’ll see a cute bunny or two grazing on the grass.
The adjacent shed houses the laundry, which costs $3 per load for washing and another $3 to dry. There’s a clothes line as well if you have the time. There is also a swimming pool with hammocks for the warmer months. While you’re at the Hunter Valley YHA, book yourself in for a wine tour. Alternatively, get a big group together and rent out the entire hostel!
- The Hunter Beer Co. – only 700m away, enjoy a night out drinking craft beer. Next door is the Potters Hotel and Brickworks Brasserie that pours Hunter Beer Co. brews and has a nice menu.
- Cessnock – only 2.7km away, this is the closest town to the hostel and has supermarkets, cafes and various other services that you may require. Hotel Cessnock does a great cheap lunch deal if you’re hungry.
- Wineries – the closest cluster of wineries is around 3.5km away to the west.
- Kurri Kurri – 15km to the east is Kurri Kurri, a cute little town with one of Australia’s newest big things, the Big Kookaburra.
- Newcastle – the closest city to the Hunter Valley, Newcastle is only 1 hour away.
The Hunter Valley YHA is located at 100 Wine Country Drive in Nulkaba. Reception is open from 8am to midday, then from 5pm to 8pm.