For a quiet and comfortable stay in the middle of the CBD, consider Hobart Central YHA. Conveniently located close to supermarkets, pubs, and the popular Waterfront area, this YHA is a great place to base yourself as you explore what the city has to offer.
Hobart Central YHA is a three story hotel that can sleep 112 guests. It has a variety of accommodation available, from multi-share dorms to ensuite and family rooms. Our multi-share dorm was on the third floor, so our legs got a good workout on our way up.
The reception and tour desk is located on the ground floor, as well as the cosy kitchen and laundry room. If you can navigate the maze of corridors on the first floor you’ll find the TV and games room. Each floor has a few bathrooms with a shower, toilet and basin, instead of a mass bathroom on each level.
There’s no secure parking, only street parking, which is free between 6pm and 8am. This was easy to work around as once we had found a parking spot after 6pm, we didn’t have to move the Troopy until 8am the next morning, which was fine because we had to be on our way anyway.
Things Close By
- The Fluke & Bruce Hotel – You can’t get any closer than next door, and you get a $5 schooners for staying at the YHA.
- Lark Distillery – just a quick 160m stroll towards the Waterfront, Lark Distillery is one representation of Hobart and Tasmania’s love of whisky.
- Supermarket – a major supermarket is located at 44 Argyle Street, only 230m up the road.
- Fish and chips – if you want some fresh fish and chips, your options are plentiful on Constitution Dock only 350m away.
- Daci & Daci Bakery –a delicious breakfast or some yummy cakes is only 450m away. If you walk there and back, you’ve nearly walked off half an apple danish.
- Salamanca Markets – Hobart’s famous markets, full of great food, crafts and entertainment, is only 750m away.
- The Cascade Brewery – only 3.7km away in South Hobart.
- Frogmore Creek Winery – about 17km on the other side of the Derwent River, Frogmore Creek have a wonderful cellar door and fantastic selection of wines.
- Bruny Island – the ferry to cross to the island is 33km south in Kettering.
- Tahune Airwalk – just over an hour away by vehicle is the Tahune Airwalk, a beautiful treetop walk amongst an ancient forest of trees that are at the heart of Tasmania’s wilderness.
Hobart Central YHA is located at 9 Argyle Street in the Hobart CBD.
To make a booking or enquire about accommodation, you can call them on 03 6231 2660, or check out the website.