Got milk? Nearly passed it’s Use By date?
Make Rice Fruit Slice! it’s cheap and easy yet delicious and without any added sugar. Here’s the recipe – give it a crack.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups milk
- hot water on standby
- 1 tbs butter
- 5-8 tbs mixed dried fruit
- 5 shakes of cinnamon
- 2 shakes of nutmeg
- 2 tbs vanilla essence
- honey to taste (optional)
- Put the rice and 3 cups of milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until the milk has been absorbed. Add the final cup of milk with the butter, dried fruit, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Wait until the milk has been absorbed before testing the rice – if it’s not done, keep adding 100ml of water at a time until the rice is soft.
- Pour into a dish and allow to cool before you put it into the fridge to set.
- Once it’s cold and set, slice into cubes and serve with whatever tickles your fancy – ice cream, coconut milk, Brandy cream or honey. You can even eat it as it is for a quick snack.
The beauty of this dish is that it’s versatile. If you don’t want to use dried fruit and spices, just make the rice pudding plain and stir in whatever you want – fresh strawberries with banana, stewed apple with cinnamon, crushed chocolate biscuits, nut butter and cacao, Bailey’s and ice cream, mango and coconut – USE YOUR IMAGINATION!