Located in an old heritage listed building that was built in 1939 and previously used to be used by St John’s Ambulance, the Perth City YHA is perfectly located in the heart of Perth with all the amenities at its fingertips. Since its establishment in March 2006, the Perth City YHA has won the Gold Medal WA Tourism Award three years in a row, which has inducted them into the WA Tourism Hall of Fame! It is also the only 4½ star hostel in Western Australia.
The old charm of the building is evident in the high ceilings, ornate cornices and the original lift, which is the oldest functional lift of its kind. While the façade of the building is original, the rear of the building is a new purpose-built, 4 storey extension that increases the capacity of the hostel to accommodate for about 240 people.
We found the hostel to be breezy and welcoming. Each level is colour-coded so you always know what floor you’re on, and all the facilities were clean and fully functional. If you’re heading to Perth and are looking for some friendly accommodation at a great price, check out Perth City YHA.
There are 70 rooms, including 25 private twin or double rooms, four kitchen cubicles, a library, swimming pool, laundry, internet café, and even an in-house gym with cardio and resistance training equipment.
The hostel is air conditioning to keep you nice and comfortable and the reception is open 24 hours, just in case your train or plane leaves in the wee hours of the morning. At reception is a travel desk where you can book your next tour, and there is also a luggage storage system for pre- and post- checkout, just in case you want to leave your hefty bag behind while you escape the city for a few weeks.
Within the hostel building is the Packaz Backpacker Bar & Café, which is open early for breakfast and is licensed to offer evening drinks.
THINGS WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE
- Yellow CAT Bus Stop – this will take you from one end of the city to the other and intersects with the Red and Blue CAT Buses at Perth Railway Station.
- Perth Train Station – your gateway to the rest of the city, including Fremantle, Mandurah, Armadale, Joondalup and historic Guildford.
- Forrest Chase Shopping Centre and a major supermarket
- Perth Shopping District & Murray Street Mall
- Northbridge and the Perth Cultural Centre – a great atmosphere with heaps of restaurants and an active nightlife.
- Perth Mint – go on a tour of the Perth Mint and learn about Western Australia’s golden history.
Location: 300 Wellington Street, Perth 6000
Phone: 08 9287 3333
For more information on the Perth City YHA, click here…