Whether you’re travelling in a group or you’re on your own, the Kalbarri Backpackers YHA is a great place to stay. The welcoming atmosphere is relaxed and sociable and you’re just minutes away from all of the attractions in Kalbarri.
After you’ve spent the day swimming in the Murchison River or exploring the coastal gorges, head back to the YHA and cook up a few snags on the BBQs before heading out to one of the local pubs. The information centre is close by if you wanted to find out about tours in the area and the IGA is just around the corner.
The dorm rooms have between 6 and 12 beds, and there are two double bed rooms available. The kitchen is fully equipped with crockery and cutlery, heaps of fridge space and a communal pantry. Outside, there is a large undercover BBQ area with heaps of benches for a big group dinner.
There is also a swimming pool, communal laundry and heaps of gear for hire, like bikes, body boards, snorkel gear, fishing gear and board games.
- The Beach – the Murchison River mouth creates a safe, calm swimming spot that is perfect for cooling off in the summer heat.
- Supermarket – there is an IGA just around the corner from the hostel, or you can walk further into town and visit the grocery store behind the Gilgai Tavern.
If you’ve got a 4WD, head north out of town and you’ll find a dirt track along the river. There’s a bit of sand, plenty of little side tracks to explore and some great views over the river from the high points.
- The pubs – There are two pubs in town – the Kalbarri Motor Hotel and the Gilgai Tavern.
- Chinaman Rock – a great fishing spot to catch a few dart.
- TransWA Coach Terminal – located at the Kalbarri Beach Resort, buses depart from here three times a week. Check out the TransWA website for more information. http://www.transwa.wa.gov.au/
- Angie’s Café – a great little café that’s open for breakfast and lunch, they do decent chicken parma with garlic bread and salad for $12.95 and a plate of fish and chips for $10. Bargain!
Kalbarri National Park
The town of Kalbarri is surrounded by national park. A quick drive south of town will take you to the coastal gorges and rock formations, or you can drive 10 minutes inland and admire the gorges of the Murchison River. Check out our post on Kalbarri National Park.
Kalbarri Backpackers YHA is located at 51 Mortimer Street in Kalbarri – next to the caravan park.
Phone: (+61 8) 9937 1430
For more information on this awesome YHA location and to make a booking, click here.