Winner of the 2014 Best Backpacker Awards in the Queensland Tourism Awards, Cairns Central YHA ticks all the boxes. A clean and well maintained hostel with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere that provides affordable accommodation in a central location. With everything in such close proximity, and a tour desk to book all your adventures, this is an ideal place to base yourself while you explore tropical north Queensland.
There are 225 beds in 59 rooms that range from 10 bed dorms to double and family rooms. Each room has keyless entry and is air conditioned.
The outdoor common areas include a pool surrounded by sun chairs and two spas, hammocks on the balcony, an undercover outdoor area with a pool table and a courtyard with a fountain. Inside, you’ll find a lounge area with a TV, a quiet reading room, and a nice big kitchen with plenty of fridge space and shelving for food.
In the reception area, there’s a tour desk that has special deals for guests and there’s also a money exchange service. Reception hours are between 6:30am and 11pm, and check out is at 10am.
Cairns Central YHA offers FREE WiFi to all guests and FREE pick up from the airport between 8am – 8pm.
Things Close By
- Cairns Central Shopping Centre – Across the road. Includes major stores and supermarkets.
- The Grand Hotel – 80m. Cheap meals and the Croc Bar.
- Bus stop – 260m (out the front of Cairns Central Shopping Centre)
- Central Plaza Doctors – 300m
- Tokyo Dumpling – 600m. This place has awesome lunch and dinner specials, that include a main meal and three dumplings for under $15.
- Woolworths, Abbott Street – 600m
- Cairns Zoom & Wildlife Dome – 850m. Meet some Aussie wildlife while you zip line and navigate your way around a ropes course up to 13 metres high.
- The Esplanade & Lagoon – 900m. Beautiful parklands built on reclaimed land and a free public swimming pool for everyone.
- Reef Terminal – 1000m. The departure point for trips out to the Great Barrier Reef.
- Palm Cove – 30km north. A beautiful spot with a pristine beach, restaurants, and weekly markets.
- Kuranda – 30km north west. The perfect place to spend a day visiting the local wildlife.
- Walsh’s Pyramid – 30km south. One of the world’s largest natural pyramids – don’t forget to take plenty of water if you plan to do the over 900 metre climb to the top!
- Port Douglas – 68km north. Another beautiful holiday destination. Make sure you try a serious sandwich made by chefs at The Little Larder.
- Paronella Park – 105km south. A magical place with an inspiring story that is an absolute must see destination.