Bellingen YHA is one of our favourite hostels in Australia. It’s so laidback and homely, occupied by friendly guests, and set amongst the beautiful lush country of the Waterfall Way. The nearby village is just as carefree, featuring a few cafes, eateries and pubs. The atmosphere is alternative, artistic and environmentally passionate, and it’s also home to a few music festivals, like the Bello Winter Music Festival, Jazz Festival, and Folk and Bluegrass Festival.
With the capacity to accommodate up to 32 guests, the Bellingen YHA is one of the smaller hostels in the country. There are twin, double and multi-share rooms available, and if you have a big group, you can even book out the entire hostel.
The common areas include unisex toilets, a cosy kitchen with gas cooking, and a balcony overlooking the Bellinger River. There are plenty of places to relax and enjoy the beautiful serenity of the surrounding landscape. There’s even a lurking kitty that loves to laze around on the balcony.
To book a tour of the Dorrigo National Park or organise some canoeing along the river, just see the friendly tour desk at reception. Also, Bellingen village is just a stone’s throw away.
- The Federal Hotel is barely 80 metres from the entrance to the hostel. Grab a beer or cheap meal with one of their weekly food specials.
- 5 Church Street – 140 metres around the corner, next to a wholefoods store is a funky little eatery that hosts live music gigs and pours the local beer made by the Bellingen Brewing Company.
- The Supermarket – there is no main supermarket in town, which adds to the charming appeal of the little village. The local IGA is located on the main street, a few doors down from the Federal Hotel.
- The Honey Place – only 18 minutes away in Urunga, the Honey Place stocks honey of varying flavours, has a great display of honey bees and native bees, and you can watch a riveting documentary about bees in the back room. Definitely worth the visit, even just to see the Big Bee Hive.
- Dorrigo – a 28 minute drive to Dorrigo is worth the trip. There’s the nearby Dangar Falls, which are a beautiful sight, and in town is the Red Dirt Distillery – apparently the only distillery in Australia to make potato vodka. Tastings are available, so make sure you try their Nocino liqueur.
- Coffs Harbour – just over 30 minutes up the coast is Coffs Harbour, featuring the Big Banana, the Clog Barn and Sealy Lookout.
Bellingen YHA is located behind the Federal Hotel at 2 Short Street. There is plenty of parking available in the adjacent car park. The reception desk is open from 8am to 7pm, check in is after 2pm and check out is at 10am. For more information, contact 02 6655 1116, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website.